Shoes for Haiti

Photo by Anjelica Carpio-Novoa

Shoes are stacked up against the wall, ready to tumble. Each shoe is slightly worn in but still looks new. These shoes are for the people of Haiti, who lost nearly everything from the aftermath of a tragic earthquake.

After the earthquake that devastated Haiti on Jan. 12th, news has been broadcasted everywhere, from the local news to CNN, where people receive statistics on the death toll, to stories based on a single person who have been greatly affected. There has even been a Sacrameto couple who was in the process of adopting a child from Haiti who cried when they heard the news. Fortunately for them, they received news that their child is doing well.

However, many are not as lucky. Haitians are living without clean water, and they have lost almost everything, including shoes.

Now, Rotary Interact has teamed up with Sports Chalet to collect shoes for those in Haiti.

“This is a great opportunity for students to help out just a little,” club adviser, Mr. Jon Bryant said.

The shoes were collected in Bryant’s history classroom, where students can bring in their shoes. Most are tennis shoes, sandals, and boots, but the occasional high heel peeks out from the bags. Not exactly needed, Bryant says.

“But any amount of shoes are very helpful. You can bring in just one pair of shoes or a whole boxful of shoes,” Bryant said.

The news about the donation has been broadcasted over the announcements and fliers have been passed around. Many students have been getting involved, like Christina Sadoma.

“I think it’s a great way to give back to those who were hurt by the earthquake. I mean, we have stuff that they need. Simple as that,” Sadoma said.

Chelsey Hart had also been involved, and donated 4 pairs of shoes.

“I’ve been hearing about the donations everywhere. My family had a bunch that were just sitting in the garage and so I brought them in,” Hart said.

The total of shoes is still in the process of being counted, but the estimate is that students have brought in about 200 pairs of shoes.

The shoes were picked up at 3 p.m. Wednesday, so if anyone wanted to help donate any other shoes , they can go to the Sports Chalet on 10349 Fairway Drive in Roseville, or any other Sports Chalet from Jan. 15- Jan 31.

By ANJELICA CARPIO-NOVOA