Common Core unfit for unique teens

A cartoon showing the uniqueness of children compared to the ordinary and bland common core standard depiction.

We hear it all the time, blah blah “they all complain” blah blah “they are all lazy.” But it seems no one has ever wondered if we are tired of our individualism in school being taken away.

No one in their right mind would think that lumping together a bunch of kids with different needs and interests is any kind of good. None of us learn the same or see the same things in life. However, we have a way of learning that promises the nation smarter kids that work harder.

This is a big fat lie.

In my math class, Integrated II, I have seen just about everyone fail every test this year, including me. We all study, do our homework and work hard, but somehow, some way, we fail every time.

This is a problem, seeing as 20 percent of teens will reach depression before even becoming adults, according to ineedalighthouse.org. Failing tests creates frustration and a feeling of worthlessness, which in turn, leads to a depressed and melancholy student, sitting in class, and wondering why they continue to fail tests.

Schools stealing their individualism doesn’t help either. The way things are being taught, we can’t learn. It’s a building block, that if missed, you can’t step back again to be sure you got what you needed, keep up or get lost. But those who can’t work this way are left behind to wonder and ponder what on earth happened to the education they grew up with. I’ve seen talent in children failing math, a great mind within the kid who can’t read, but obviously the schools and government don’t care about personal needs of an individual as long as all of us as a whole are better than other countries. And while the expectation for common core is that it will ready students for future jobs and college courses, I believe that the standards should have been implemented at an earlier age, rather than in students who have molded their brains already around a different style of learning and how they uniquely suit that to their needs.

It’s frustrating and something needs to happen, too many kids and teens fail and feel terrible because of their individualism being taken and made into something it’s not. Everyone thinks differently, sees situations differently and therefore learns differently. While teachers don’t have much power in their positions against common core being implemented by the government, they may be able to ease this painful learning system by providing a system of weekly ‘extra’ classes after or before school, getting students get that push they need to succeed on that next test.