ASB plans first winter formal since the 2005-2006 school year

After the class announcements for the day, Wyatt Arbaugh and Natalie Hamm discuss final details for the dance during Mr. Travis Mougeotte’s sixth period leadership class. Photo by Renese Lopez

While most schools in the area have stuck to the tradition of a winter formal, ASB had decided to take another path when opening and focused on the Sadies. But as time has gone on,  ASB along with help from admin, has officially made the first winter ball since the first year the school opened.

They decided on the new change in pace due to the participation in Sadies week.

As part of the dance committee, Tabitha Bland was part of the decision-making process.

“We thought that the winter formal would be something new and something fun that’s nice for the student body. Plus a lot of other schools on the area have a winter dance so it would be nice to have another semi-formal,” Bland said.

With junior prom and senior ball both being in the second semester, it provides an additional opportunity for the underclassmen on campus to get dressed up at the end of the year.

“The dance should be fun since the underclassmen only have the opportunity to get dressed up in the second semester if they are asked to ball or prom. But that doesn’t happen very often, so at least for me it will provide something to look forward to after winter break ends,” Bland said.

With this being the first winter formal since the first year at Whitney people are not fully sure on what to expect but believe it could be a positive change for our campus.

“I feel like it’s a great opportunity for everyone to feel included and have the chance to have a good time with their friends. I think new school events are worth giving a shot and it’s another way to socialize and relax as well, especially with busy school schedules,” Bella Lordge said.

The leadership class is hoping to get more involvement in this dance than Sadies due to the fact that is not the same thing.

“Since it is a new event for our school, we are able to invent it however we please. This is why the spirit committee decided to try something different and make it upperclassmen against underclassmen. By doing so they hope to create a new kind of competitive environment not seen at other rallies or events,” Bland said.

The Fire and Ice semi-formal winter ball will take place tonight at 7 p.m. and tickets will be sold at the door for $15.

by RENESE LOPEZ