‘Senioritis’ perpetuates lower work ethic, laziness

As the school year winds down, senioritis spreads and becomes more contagious than ever before.

‘Senioritis’ is a term used to define how seniors in high school tend to put in less effort into school and take classes less seriously as before. This ‘disease’ causes countless seniors to possess more missing assignments, more tardies and more absences.

“After finishing three years of high school, having good attendance and no missing assignments is difficult to maintain,” Sheel Mehta said.

Students may say they feel like ‘senioritis’ is a natural thing to go though and it’s apart of America’s culture. Many reason that they feel like they deserve to goof around and not take school as seriously due to finishing nearly twelve years of education.

But research has shown that some seniors are affected more than others due to various reasons. Students were asked how much they were affected by ‘senioritis’ and why. Answers showed that college admissions, graduation and being burnt out from sports or jobs either influenced or prevented the ‘illness.’

Ian Higgins said ‘senioritis’ has affected his personal work ethic, including his grades and attendance.

“As a senior, I don’t care as much about grades as I did in the past years due to the fact that I have almost all the credits I need to graduate and attend college next year,” Higgins said.

Senior year causes students to let ‘senioritis’ hit them as if it was a natural sickness. As the last year of high school, students also feel stressed about other things other than school which makes seniors focus less about grades.

“I struggle to come to school and be on time but graduation greatly motivates me to put in just the right amount of effort to get through senior year,” Hailey Smith said.

All in all, ‘senioritis’ effects an innumerable amount of seniors across the nation and it definitely does its part to make a difference in the last year of high school.

by JEREMY ISIP